Author Topic: Gas grill roaster components  (Read 1425 times)

Offline mark_b

• Standard User
Gas grill roaster components
« on: August 19, 2024, 07:44:37 AM »
Hi all,

I’ve recently purchased a Behmor 2000AB Roaster to replace my gas grill version. You might say I decided to “down size.”  I’ve discarded the grill and drum, however, the motor assembly might be of use to someone who is considering converting a grill.

Send a message if interested. 

Thanks,

Mark
Cary, NC

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Gas grill roaster components
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2024, 08:02:39 AM »
What was the reason you decided to downsize?
Just curious, as most people tend to go the other way, unless they are moving and have to because of room etc etc.
or... they are tired of climbing over 300 lbs of coffee every morning when they wake up :D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline mark_b

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2024, 04:17:41 PM »
Aaron,

I loved the gas grill roaster and used it for roughly 10 years. For me, the process became too much of a , “process.”  In fact, I didn’t even roast any coffee for almost a year just because it was (again, for me) too much of a process to drag everything out to the yard and roast. Which leads me to an unrelated and separate post question, “should I toss the old beans I’ve had stored for over a year?”

The decision to get a smaller roaster (even though I had a 5 LB drum, the sweet spot was 2.5) was based on convenience.  Plus, I’m the only one in my household that drinks coffee (although, I had been supplying my daughter and son in law - who have 3 small children…you can imagine the consumption rate in their house).

I definitely need more practice with the Behmor, but have enjoyed the roasts so far.  The model I have will roast 1LB….

Thanks for asking!

Offline mark_b

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2024, 04:19:18 PM »
By the way, for anyone interested…the cost is whatever the delivery (UPS, Fed Ex, etc) is to get it to you.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024, 12:04:05 PM »

I loved the gas grill roaster and used it for roughly 10 years. For me, the process became too much of a , “process.”  In fact, I didn’t even roast any coffee for almost a year just because it was (again, for me) too much of a process to drag everything out to the yard and roast. Which leads me to an unrelated and separate post question, “should I toss the old beans I’ve had stored for over a year?”

The best way to find the answer to that question is to roast some of the old stuff.  It's hard to answer because we don't know how old the beans were before they came into your possession, and we don't know how they were stored at your place.  In my experience, the main culprit in beans getting long in the tooth is humidity.  If I wasn't careful, the beans would be noticeably less nuanced after a year.  Storing them in quality ziplocks (vs. burlap or cotton) and running my dehumidifier, they'll go a lot longer.  All you can do is try some - maybe smaller 8oz. batches in your new Behmor - and see what you find.  Chances are, you don't have perfect recall of what they once were and will be perfectly happy with them today.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2024, 07:01:58 AM »
NO !!!
Absolutely NOT!!!

Unless they are moldy, grimy, bug eaten, beetle bored up dust... there is no need to toss those beans.

I have had beans 4  5, sometimed 7 years old.

Are they as good as when I got them,  oh hell no.    are they good in a cup of coffee....  oh hell yes!!  The tastes change, they don't necessarily go bad.

Once you roast them, yah they can go stale after a while, but the beans themselves, not so bad.  remember when you roast it now, the ROAST is fresh again!

Give them a try I think you'll not be too disappointed.

Example,  I do my  Bubba's where I get rid of older beans Ive had sitting around a while,  I constantly get people DM'ing me asking, oh man that was still soooo good, do you have any more, even only a pound or two????    that right there, should tell you something about alleged degradation :D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2024, 03:11:42 PM »
I roast old coffee. 

Sometimes I even buy old coffee but I cup it first. 

The shots lack crema as the oils have evaporated. The beans usually roast up differently too because they're dryer. 

You've got nothing to lose by trying.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2024, 09:10:45 AM »
Brian brings up a good point, they are much dryer so the drying phase is very short,  be careful roasting, they can fly if you are not careful.  Many Ive had to dial the heat down a bit and basically pull way back once crack started so they didn't just immediately want to fly into second.

It's not the best way to roast beans but definitely doable, and definitely will get good results.

Ive had some crappy mexicans and even robusta, that letting the bean sit a few years, it actually improved the flavor they came up with after being roasted.  This is an exception of course but go for it !

Aaron