Author Topic: Gifts for a backwards oriented person.  (Read 2287 times)

Tex

Gifts for a backwards oriented person.
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
Back in the day I used a one-cup moka pot for my coffee needs, but my nieces son & wife are serious coffee drinkers & backpackers who limit their pack load to no more than 35 lbs each (pretty light when they're often gone for a week or more). I gave them a small hand grinder that packs away OK, but they want a pour over that's not made of plastic & is as light as possible.

So far I've come up with these;

Any other options for a "real" pour over cone that'll collapse?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:13:06 AM by Tex »

Ray T

Re: Gifts for a backwoods oriented person.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »
I like mine

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:18:44 AM »

Tex

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Here's a stainless one that's less than 6 oz, but I don't like it as much as a simple wire frame.  Cost too dang gone much too. (click on image for link)

p.s.  Reviews call this heavy.

Too bad they didn't make it from aluminum!

ecc

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »
Does the RSVP pass the spirit of the "not plastic" test?

Not just a cone, silicone! ( yech? )

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:53:55 AM »
Back in my backpacking day's my cookpot was a coffee pot. I brewed the coffee cowboy style with it in the morning and cooked dinner in it at night (I ate out of it, too). Why make things more complicated than it needs to be?
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Tex

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »
Back in my backpacking day's my cookpot was a coffee pot. I brewed the coffee cowboy style with it in the morning and cooked dinner in it at night (I ate out of it, too). Why make things more complicated than it needs to be?

Why intentionally make bad coffee when there are better options? I used to lug something like this for years (but I was using preground Italian coffee).

Good coffee is my birthright!

Tex

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »
Yeah, I've got one of those in the tent trailer.

What are they going to use to roast the coffee while backpacking?

I don't know, but if you left a can of greens out and collected it the next day would you have ursa luwak?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Gifts for a backwards oriented person.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
In a case like ultra light unsupported backpacking I'd accept pre grinding into some vac sealed packs to lose the grinder. I'd use the jet boil and probably get a lexan press pot rather than pourover cone and filters.

Ultra light packing does not mesh perfectly with fresh ground coffee plus brewing gear. Compromise is mandatory.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »
Right now they're using a Hario Mini grinder w/o the catcher (broken) and a Melitta pour over. They've broken several plastic cones and want something that can take the beating of getting tossed down a cliff while they rappel down.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »

http://www.rei.com/product/750397/gsi-outdoors-h2jo-coffee-filter

This is what I do.  I dump the coffee into the filter and screw it into a Nalgene bottle that I have filled with water just off the boil.  I screw on the cap, invert the bottle and wait about five minutes, shaking the bottle periodically.  Open the bottle, remove and dump out the filter and I have a quart bottle full of good, hot coffee.  More compact and less fussy than the drip filters, or the french press for the Nalgene bottle that I used to use.   

PS: I forgot to mention that after I clean the filter and bottle, I install the filter back into the bottle and fill it up with water to drink on the trail.  This way, the filter takes up no extra room  in my pack and is protected from damage.  Even though I usually use a hydration bladder in my packs, I usually take one Nalgene with me as well.  Easier to hand a bottle to people who have run out of water, or if I need to filter/treat water on the trail.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:49:12 PM by MGLloyd »

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Ray T

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
Does the RSVP pass the spirit of the "not plastic" test?

Not just a cone, silicone! ( yech? )
It's fine just don't implant it anywhere  ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »
There is always this:

Whether it is light enough or cheap enough is your call.

:)

(Click on image for link.)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 08:02:45 AM »
You could get them a Vietnamese phin to use for pourover. It might not be completely perfect, but they are cheap and made of metal.

Tex

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
You could get them a Vietnamese phin to use for pourover. It might not be completely perfect, but they are cheap and made of metal.

Cheap & made of aluminum is good, but it has to be something that's easy stowed in a small rucksack. I'll stop by REI on Monday and see what they have.